Friday 13 February 2015

Trash It

As I spent my evening working on snowmobiles and hanging out in my boyfriends auto shop I noticed some dirt and garbage lying around when I then realized what product I was going to test this week…

Garbage Bags. I know its not the most exciting topic, but this is something we all buy and there is always that battle in consumers minds when at the store, thinking is the more expensive brand really worth buying? If it is always a need and if i'm just going to throw something out in the trash, why should I pay more? Right?

Wrong.

For those thoughts exactly, I decided to not only test a garbage bag, but to test a no name brand of garbage bags agains the similar size and style expensive brands. See the products below:

Product 1 : Glad Regular Garbage Bags (same size as Great Value)

Quantity: 48
Price: $6.00 + Tax

Product 2 : Great Value Large Garbage Bags

Quantity: 80
Price: $5.97  + Tax

Glad VS. Great Value

Luckily, my boyfriend had just purchased 2 new brake rotors for his truck which are quite heavy. I put the no name value up against Glad garbage bags with a weight test to see how strong they were compared to each other.


Step 2
Step 1

Step 1: Place heavy brake rotors in each bag

Step 2: Hold bag up off the ground and lightly bounce  5 times







The results….

Glad Bag

The Glad Garbage bag held up, and remained in normal condition with the pressure and weight of the heavy object inside. The bags smelled nice and you could notice a nicer quality and thicker bag. There were 4 little flaps at the top of the bag to make life easier to tie the bag together when full.
Great Value Bag














The Great Value bag also kept the heavy object inside the bag and did not let it fall through. However, the bag ripped from the top where I was holding it from the pressure. Each little bounce the wholes stretched bigger and resulted in the photo beside after the 5 bounces. There are only 2 little flaps on the top of these bags to tie together and by the test I can conclude a thinner and cheaper quality bag.

As these bags may be a 'great value' for being cheaper than the leading brands, when quality comes to quantity I would prefer to pay the extra few cents to have a garbage bag that won't break on me while walking down the driveway to bring the trash to the street on garbage day. Since there is less quanitiy, you would have to buy them more frequently, but for sanity's sake, I would be kicking myself in the behind for having to pick all that garbage up if it broke. Luckily being the only girl in a house filled with men I normally don't have to worry about this issue, but hey, i'm looking out for my boo.

I rate the Glad garbage bag 5 shopping bags out of 5 and I rate the Great Value garbage bags 2 shopping bags out of 5.





Until next post,

-BriBri (Credits to Ashley Veenstra for the creation of BriBri)

2 comments:

  1. Looks like the Glad bags are the way to go! I'll definitely consider this next time I'm trying to decide in the aisle at the store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a Glad guy – never let's me down! Love the concept for your blog, very useful information. - Jeff

    ReplyDelete